It’s football season! Between tailgates and superbowl parties, game day is rarely known as being a healthy event. A great way to try to bring nutrition back into game day is to cook your own healthy tailgating foods. Check out the recipes below for some tasty twists on game day!
Spicy Sweet Potato Wedges
- 1 ½ pounds unpeeled sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon five-spice powder
- ½ teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- Preheat oven to 500°F.
- Cut sweet potatoes lengthwise into 1/2- to 2/3-inch wedges; place in a bowl. Drizzle with olive oil; toss to coat. Sprinkle with salt, five-spice powder, and chipotle chile powder; toss well.
- Arrange wedges in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake at 500°F for 20 minutes or until tender, turning after 10 minutes.
Habanero- Apricot Chicken Sandwiches
- Cooking spray
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1/3 cup apricot preserves
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 tsp. minced habanero chiles (seeds and membranes removed), divided
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups very thinly sliced cored red cabbage
- 1 cup matchstick-cut carrots
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced radishes
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon raw sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- 6 whole-wheat hamburger buns, lightly toasted
- Coat a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker with cooking spray; place chicken in bottom of slow cooker.
- Combine apricot preserves, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, 2 tablespoons habanero chile, 2 teaspoons vinegar, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, and garlic in a bowl; stir with a whisk. Pour apricot mixture over chicken in slow cooker. Toss to coat. Cover and cook on LOW 5 hours.
- Combine cabbage, carrots, radishes, basil, and sunflower seeds in a large bowl. Stir together lime juice, oil, remaining 1 teaspoon vinegar, remaining 1 teaspoon habanero, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon black pepper in a separate smaller bowl. Add to cabbage mixture; toss to combine. Let stand at room temperature 15 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to a cutting board. Shred with 2 forks; place in large bowl. Skim fat from juices in slow cooker; discard fat. Combine cornstarch and 1 tablespoon water in a small bowl; stir until smooth. Stir cornstarch mixture into juices in slow cooker. Cover and cook on HIGH 5 minutes or until thickened. Add chicken back to slow cooker; toss to combine.
- Place 5 ounces chicken mixture on each bun. Top each with 1/2 cup slaw.
Chili-Lime Roasted Chickpeas
- 1 (15-oz.) can unsalted chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated lime rind
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Arrange chickpeas on paper towels; pat dry.
- Combine chickpeas and olive oil on a foil-lined baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 400°F for 30 minutes or until crisp, stirring after 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with chili powder, lime rind, and salt; toss to combine.
- 10 ounce refrigerated fresh whole-wheat pizza dough
- 1/4 cup plain 2% reduced-fat Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons low-fat buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons canola mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup vertically sliced red onion
- 3 ounces skinless, boneless rotisserie chicken breast, shredded (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 1/2 ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded (about 1/3 cup)
- 1/2 cup packed arugula
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 ounce blue cheese, crumbled (about 1/4 cup)
- 2 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
- 1 medium-size ripe avocado, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 500°F. Place a pizza stone or heavy baking sheet in oven (keep pan in oven as it preheats).
- Place dough in a microwave-safe bowl; microwave at HIGH 30 seconds or until room temperature. Roll dough into a 14- x 10-inch rectangle on a large piece of lightly floured parchment paper; pierce dough liberally with a fork. Carefully place parchment paper and dough on preheated pizza stone or baking sheet; bake at 500°F for 5 minutes or until crust is lightly browned.
- Combine yogurt, buttermilk, and mayonnaise in a bowl; spread over crust, leaving a 1-inch border. Top evenly with tomatoes, onion, chicken, and mozzarella; bake at 500°F for 5 minutes. Place arugula and oil in a bowl; toss to coat. Sprinkle arugula mixture, blue cheese, bacon, avocado, and pepper over pizza. Cut into 8 slices.
Smoky Carrot Dogs
- 3/4 cup raw cashews
- 8 large carrots, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium tamari or soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons liquid smoke (optional)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 cup jarred salsa
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon water
- 8 whole-wheat hot dog buns, lightly toasted
- 2 small jalapeños, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- Place cashews in a bowl with water to cover by 1 inch. Let stand 8 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Line a 13- x 9-inch baking dish with aluminum foil. Trim ends from carrots to fit hot dog buns. Using a vegetable peeler, peel carrots, and round edges to create a hot dog shape.
- Place oil, tamari, liquid smoke (if desired), paprika, garlic powder, and onion powder in a small bowl. Stir with a whisk. Place carrots in a single layer in prepared baking dish. Pour oil mixture over carrots; rub to coat on all sides. Bake at 450°F for 35 minutes, tossing every 15 minutes.
- Drain cashews. Place cashews, jarred salsa, almond milk, yeast, cayenne pepper, cumin, turmeric, and salt in a high-powered blender. Process until creamy, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in up to 1 tablespoon water, 1 teaspoon at a time, until desired consistency is reached.
- Place 1 roasted carrot in each bun. Top each with 2 tablespoons nacho sauce; top evenly with jalapeño slices and diced red onion.